We throw this word around a LOT in the tech world. “It’s on the server” or the “the server is down” are common phrases that they say in movies to say that something seriously bad has happened to their tech. But what does it mean and why is it bad?
A server processes a request and finds the right files, sometimes “compiling” a page from code and other sources, like a database.
There are actually lots of different types of servers. Some included are:
- File server: a computer or device dedicated to storing files
- Print server: a computer that manages more than one printer
- Network server: computer that manages network traffic
- Database server: a computer that processes database queries
- Cloud server: a bunch of computers that store files
Most servers perform only the task given t them, making them dedicated to their cause.